Situated just above the pulpit, the shape of this window is Norman in contrast to the rest of the lancet windows in the church. Taylor's history claims that it is "the only window remaining of the church as it was in 1831" although it is difficult to see how that can be the case, the Norman church having been completely demolished.
The stained glass was the gift of Mrs Taylor in memory of her parents. Installed in 1890 it is the work of AO Hemming, a prolific stained glass artist in the late nineteenth century who created windows in this style in churches all over the country (and all the glass in St Andrew's).
It depicts Dorcas, a Christian who lived in Joppa. Described in The Acts of the Apostles as a woman who "did many good things and acts of kindness" she is often depicted with needlework in her hands, as here. When she died her fellow believers sent urgently for Peter who brought her back to life. This miracle had a profound effect on the people of Joppa resulting in many converts to Christianity. Read the full story in Acts 9, verses 36 to 42.
The text at the bottom of the window reads:
Erected by Mary Alice Taylor in memory of her parents,
Robert and Mary Salts of Preston. February 2, 1890.