The window on the south side of the chancel shows Saint John the Baptist and Saint John The Evangelist. It was yet another gift of the Reverend W L Taylor to the church, made in memory of his parents.
The Baptist, wearing a short tunic suitable for baptism and leather sandals suitable for life in the desert, is holding a banner with the legend "Ecce Agnus Dei" (Behold the Lamb of God) and a platter inscribed with the image of a lamb. These attributes refer to the words of John when he recognised that it was Jesus who had come to him to be baptised. Unsurprisingly he stand on the bank of the river Jordan.
By contrast the Evangelist is dressed in fine robes and is barefoot. He is blessing a golden chalice from which is emerging a green dragon. John the Evangelist is represented in this way in many religious paintings. Legend has it that he was offered a chalice of poisoned wine as a test of his holiness, but by blessing the wine he was able to drive out the poison which emerged in the form of a two-headed snake. John then drank the wine and was unharmed. Although the phrase a poisoned chalice is attributed to Shakespeare (in Macbeth), is it possible that the legend of John was a stimulus for The Bard?
The dedication reads:
"In loving memory of his parents John and Jane Taylor of Burnley.
Their children shall call them blessed.
This window is erected by the Rev. W L Taylor MA, Rector of this Parish, February 2, 1890."