High in the south wall of the choir and standing proud can be seen a brownish stone with a few scratches on it. At the top of the stone is carved a date in Roman numerals MCCLXVI (1266). Underneath can be seen the crudely carved initials GB. These are believed to represent the name Geoffrey Bulmer, the builder of the present church. It was he who got rid of all the ancient stonework (see the Church porch page) described by Taylor as "an act of inexcusable Vandalism". However, Bulmer clearly wished to be remembered and chose do so by associating his own initials with a much older inscription and building the stone into the fabric of the new church.