The current church was built in 1831 using some (probably) medieval masonry from the previous building; the porch and vestry were added in 1904. The original windows were in Romanesque style, but were replaced by the existing lancet windows in 1874.
The church is a Grade 2 listed building, and the boundary wall and Lych-gate are also Grade 2 listed (see the Churchyard page).
Visitors are fascinated by this interesting clock by Potts of Leeds. William Potts was born in December 1809 and was apprenticed to Samuel Thompson, a Darlington clockmaker. In 1833, at the age of 24, William moved to Pudsey near Leeds, to set up his own business. There are more than 1600 Potts clocks in existence around England as well as those as far afield as Australia, New Zealand and Moscow!
St Andrew's has several attractive Victorian stained glass windows. These three examples are from the nave, and more details of the subjects illustrated are available in church.
The interior of the church in 1919. It's a shame that the decoration on the chancel arch has long since been over-painted. In this photo it's just possible to see Alpha and Omega on either side of the arch with accompanying angels and (presumably) Christ in Majesty in the centre. For an interesting account of painting on a chancel arch read A Month in the Country by JL Carr.
More detail to come here - the organ (perhaps with a recording), the Dorcas window (the only part of the old church remaining), etc.